Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Buying a mountain bike in the Philippines

There is a place in Paranaque, Metro Manila which is well known for customising your mountain bike. I bought one here for Y10,000, then changed a few things, eg. I paid a little extra for a better seat and foam (non-sweat) grips. Having purchased the bike I was having troubles within 2 weeks:
1. Peddles: I wa riding along and one of the peddles fell off. The problem was that the peddle was incorrectly lined. This cost me an extra P3000.
2. Gears: The gears were not compatible with the bike. The bike was Taiwanese, so designed for a 7-speed gearset, but it was an 8-speed Shimano gearset, so they had a spacer filling the gap. After about 4 weeks the spacer broke, so the gears were loose, so the chain was falling in between the crack. That cost me an extra P2000.
This bicycle was starting to cost me. Well it did look good!
-----------------------------------------------
Andrew Sheldon www.sheldonthinks.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...